Can I help you find something??

03 March 2013

Comfort food - Apple and Cinnamon muffins

Over the past week I have been searching for comfort and quiet. I have been in awe of my friends' grace and inspired by their strength and have succeeded in my quest for food cuddles, in the form of these warm and comforting muffins. 

There is something so warm and homely about cinnamon, especially when coupled with apple.

I followed a recipe in Nigella Lawsons' Kitchen cookbook, but altered it a little, as I am allergic to yoghurt, and I also changed the quantities of a few things, but it really worked!

Ingredients

For the muffins:
3 eating apples
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
125g light brown sugar
125ml honey (half a cup)
125ml melted butter
2 eggs
40g unblanched almonds
35ml oat milk - or really any milk, I was just being resourceful with what was in the fridge!

For the topping:
4 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
35g unblanched almonds

Method

1. Peel and chop the apples into small cubes and boil for 20 minutes in a saucepan, and then leave to cool. You don't absolutely have to do this step, but I feel like it makes the muffins taste a little like apple pie, and what's not to love about that!


2. Meanwhile, combine eggs, butter, sugar, milk and honey and whisk together until well combined. 


3. Add in all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon), but do not stir yet! 

4. Roughly cut the almonds, but there is no need for them to be grounded. 


5. Throw the almonds in and stir until just combined, do not mix for long. 


6. Add the apples and again only stir a little, the more you stir the denser the muffins will become. Spoon into muffin papers and fill 3/4 to the top. 


7. Make the topping by combining all three ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin. 


8. Bake on 180C/350F for 10-15 minutes, but keep checking them with a skewer to test if they are cooked through. 

9. Eat warm with a glass of something equally as delicious!! I made a pot of hot cinnamon milk with a dash of honey and it was everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg