Can I help you find something??

14 March 2013

Shredded chicken tex-mex

If you have been following my blog for a little while now, you will know that I have discovered the joy of shredding beef! Whilst on the crazy cleanse week though, red meat was off the menu, but I thought, "Well then, that just means I'm going to have to shred some chicken then". I went about cooking the chicken before realising that I couldn't add any of the usual herbs and spices that I would normally add such as cumin, paprika and garlic salt. But, with 6 chicken breasts sealing in the pan, it was too late for regrets, it was a make it work moment. 

When the chicken was sealed I added half a bunch of chopped up fresh coriander and squeezed in half a lime. I then covered the chicken with boiling water, placed the lid on the pot and let it bubble away for a few hours. 

The chicken cooked far more quickly than does red meat, so it was tender and falling apart after only about 3 hours. 

Before serving I added the remaining fresh coriander, lime and seasoned with a little salt and pepper. The lime and coriander gave plenty of flavour whilst keeping the chicken tasting so fresh and zesty. 

I made guacamole, grilled some peppers and onion and served on a bed of fresh greens, creating my cleansing version of Tex-Mex, sans tortillas, cumin and shredded cheese sadly!

It was actually kind of delicious! 


For the next two lunches I had shredded chicken salads, and found that sun-dried tomatoes accompany these flavours beautifully.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg