Can I help you find something??

16 January 2014

Meg(a) Hash Brown Baked Eggs Benedict (gluten free)

Eggs benedict have always always been a firm favourite of mine. My friend Saraidy and I used to rate  the eggs benedict wherever we ate so that we could find the ultimate hollandaise in Brisbane! And it seems this quest is still going strong, as it's seems I've been ordering it around the world a lot lately too... there was Sarabeth'sGranger & CoGramercy Terrace, just to name a few!

I made it my goal about 10 years ago to learn and perfect a homemade hollandaise sauce, and ever since then, we've had Egg's Benedict every other weekend! 

I wrote a post on my old blog two years ago about my "Meggs Benedict" but have been experimenting in the past few months with some new types of Benedict, and I do believe I have come up with the ultimate Meg(a) Hash Brown Eggs Benedict!! 

Whether you  have avocado or don't, whether you prefer ham or smoked salmon, or even if you like wilted spinach or don't; THE single most important component of a good benedict is the hollandaise. 

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free

If it's rubbish, the whole thing will be ruined. I like mine to be buttery, thick, creamy, not too tangy and definitely lots of it!! I don't know if anyone would be interested in knowing how I make mine or not, but I wanted to share my recent brunch trial which was a bit of a shake up of the old Benedict. 

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free

Firstly, as I can't eat gluten I don't get to enjoy a toasted bagel or muffin I'd rather not have any bread at all. I've been making mini potato hash browns (potato cakes) to use as the base, but recently tried a few new ways, and then I discovered that my favourite way, is also Gordon's way.

Yes yes yes, I am Gordon Ramsay obsessed right now, but seriously we are so much in sync right now it's scary!!! So much so that the other day my Husband said to me "you and Gordon are two peas in a time-displaced pod". He is definitely the chef I most resonate with and aspire to be like, and who cooks so many meals that I adore! I was excited to see him making one giant hash brown too, as the basis for baked eggs, but more excited that he left it there, and allowed me to elevate it to the next level and make Benedict out of it!

I Instagrammed a photo of this huge hash brown that I made in my Le Creuset Casserole dish, which I then used as the base for brunch with some friends recently. 

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free

It was so much easier to make breakfast like this for a group, no fiddling around with 8 small hash browns, and it looked far more impressive (for half the effort) too!!

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free
To make the Giant Hash Brown (Gluten Free):

Grate 3 large potatoes and then squeeze out all of the water. Microwave for about 4 minutes until the potato is partially cooked. Then add a some salt and little gluten-free flour so that the potato is less sticky and easier to handle (no more than half a cup). Then put some oil and butter in a non-stick pan and cook until browned on both sides. 

Then arrange the ham on top of the hash brown in a ring formation to form a bit of hollow for the eggs to go. Crack your eggs and then place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs (although always until the whites are cooked through). 

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free

Cover with your creamy and buttery Hollandaise, and I like mine served with avo, but to each their own!! It was so so good and everyone enjoyed every last mouthful!

meg-made: meg(a) hash brown eggs benedict gluten free

This was the brunch that we then served up the Brunch Dessert for, as we were all feeling a little on the heavy side after this feast!!!! 

PMI

Plus = gluten free, creative take on eggs benedict, filling, delicious, easy to make for entertaining
Minus = was pretty heavy and I overbaked the eggs a little, I need to practice baking eggs more!
Interesting = You are limited by your pan, so generally can't fit as many eggs as you'd normally have

I am really getting into Brunch these days, we are finding it to be the perfect social catch ups with a toddler! So I'll apologise now if you are getting a bit sick of seeing Brunch ideas here, but also, warn you that there are many, many more to come!!!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-instagram

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to have found your blog! I cannot eat gluten, so I am so happy to see your new recipes are GF! Will be trying them all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Lindseyy I'm so glad you found me too!!! It definitely helped me a lot to find some gluten free blogs to immerse myself in to realise that we're not deprived too much!!!! Let me know how you go whenever you try a recipe!! xx

      Delete
  2. Eggs Benedict is my FAVOURITE meal. I love it with parma ham or black pudding, and LOADS of Hollandaise sauce. I'd love to know your recipe though, just to compare it with mine. I've never thought of using a hash brown as a base, but I definitely think you're on to something! I'll give it a go next time I have Eggs Benedict and I'll let you know what I think :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia, perhaps I'll do a Hollandaise post soon too, I sure make it often enough that I could stop and take a few snaps! Definitely let me know how it goes (with photos!!!!!) xx

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, Meg, this sounds (and looks) so delicious! I love Eggs Benedict - this looks like a great way to enjoy it!

    Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I hope you give this one a try, I think you'd love it! xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg