Can I help you find something??

04 February 2014

Shakshuka Recipe for the Fast Diet

Goodness me I feel like I have been hiding stuck under a rock somewhere because I only just "discovered" Shakshuka. Have you had Shakshuka? Do you love Shakshuka? Have you trekked from miles around to have Shakshuka at NOPI? Or am I speaking an entirely foreign language to you too and Shakshuka sounds more like something you wrap around your hair to keep it neat in the wind?! 

Well, whether you know and love Shakshuka (and scroll straight past this highly irrelevant post) or have never heard of it before, I can't sing its' praises enough. 

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka
Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka Shakshuka 
When I first stumbled across a recipe for it in the Fast Diet Recipe Book I thought it sounded great! I then included it briefly in a Lose Day Tuesday post and have had friends/readers very casually mention that it was nice to see that I tried Shakshuka, as though its something everyone secretly goes home and makes every weekend but never mentions it to a soul. Oh yes and I think if I type it more, I will be able to stumble less when saying it! Shakshuka shakshuka shakshuka. 

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

Yotam Ottolenghi's restaurant NOPI is apparently famous for their Shakshuka, which I can't wait to go and sample for myself, and being so low calorie, it makes for an awesome Fast Day dinner (or breakfast if you structure your calories to be top-heavy).

Ingredients (for two)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
2 eggs (I did three, one for Husband and two for me)
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Method:

1. Heat oil and sauté onion for a few minutes until they have softened slightly. 

2. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, along with the spices and simmer for another 5 minutes. 

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

4. Season and then crack the eggs directly over the tomato mix and cover with foil. 

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

5. Cook for about 7 minutes (I did mine for the suggested 10 and one egg was far too overcooked. All you need is for the whites to be solid, so check it a few times, you really want the yolks runny!

6. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy hot! 

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

meg-made: Fast Diet recipe Shakshuka

PMI

Plus = Healthy, low calorie, spicy, filling, delicious
Minus = Overcooking the eggs is very easy to do!
Interesting = the egg tastes almost sweet in this dish (which I happen to love)

I will definitely report back when I find my way to NOPI and let you know how their Shakshuka compares!!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-instagram

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Meg for writing a very good diet recipes and I wanted to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg